Thursday, January 21, 2010

What Time Is It?

Good Time
19240 E. Colima Rd.
Rowland Heights, CA 91748
(626) 965-9303

January 19, 2010
It is quite fascinating to hear the exploits an underage person performs in order to get alcohol. They often range from: the juvenile – asking a person to buy alcohol in the Wal-Mart parking lot; to the laborious - a hallmate made me a fake I.D. to get into the shitty Nashville bars; and to the absurd - taking flight to another nation in order to imbibe ambrosia (Thanks Poi). But there is no need to be so creative, you can just go to Good Time in Rowland Heights.

January 16, 2010
2:30 A.M.
Dear God, where am I, why do I smell like a mixture cigarettes and fruit?

January 16, 2010
10:40 P.M.
We were watching Jersey Shore, and we were discussing the many ways of extricating ourselves from the possibility of playing poker with Uncle Eddie.

“So what are we going to do,” Jason nervously asked.

We discussed tipping cows, playing mahjong, playing Magic the Gathering, playing Call of Duty, ceremonial sacrifice; anything but playing poker with Eddie.

Jason was looking at me “I want to go out drinking with you, I want to be in your blog.”

“Really? You actually read it?” I asked in a surprised voice.

“Hell yea, I read them all. By the way, Darren is a bear.” We all laughed at the inside joke.

Puzzled I asked, “Bryant, how old are you? Isn’t it going to be a problem since you are 5?”

“It is ok, we could go to Good Time,” he answered.

They all nodded.

January 17, 2010
1:30 A.M.

“Eric it is your turn. A.”

I have no idea who said that. I was in a drunken stupor, and I was sitting next to Darren. As Jason indicates above, Darren is a bear; therefore, he is a comfortable warm pillow. I peel my eyelids open. “I am THINKING!” I go back to sleep.

January 16
10:55 P.M.

We walk into the successor of the Asian opium den; red walls, red booths, Asians eating really red things and wearing really red clothes. I thought I was in Hell’s waiting room.

The greeter was leading us and Jason sagaciously inquired to the “backroom.” At the word, my interest was piqued, but much to my surprise, it was in this blue room decked out in a frenzied nautical theme. There were signs taped to the wall saying “L.A. 30 miles west,” and “No swimming in shallow waters.” To add to the montage, there were several barrels a’la Donkey Kong attached to the wall. To capture the glory that is Good Time, close your eyes and imagine yourself as flotsam and jetson scattered amongst a wreck.

January 16
11:30 P.M.

“If you pour the Soju into the Hite it makes it sweet,” so says Darren in an authoritative manner.

I gag. When I hear “sweet” I think Snickers, not a combination of death, mud, and water.

January 16
11:07 P.M.

We are ordering. Jason tells the waitress that we want two Hites, and a Soju. Darren asks her what type of Soju cocktail she would recommend. Blank stares. Nothing. Silence. But it is always darkest before the dawn. Darren asks “What type of flavor would he (pointing to me) like?”

Without a beat, she says “PEACH.”

Everyone including the waitress laughs.

January 16
11:00 P. M.

“Ouch, what the fuck!” Darren screams in pain. He accidentally hits the barrel that he is sitting under – TWICE. For those who never met Darren, think of an Asian Shreck.

January 17, 2010
12:20 A.M.

Jon is explaining the rules to a drinking game. Somebody says the name to a videogame character. The next person needs to name a character using the last letter of the previous; for example “Rydia” comes after “Tauren Sledgemaster.”

January 17, 2010
12:33

It is my turn to pick a topic - "Books". I smoke the round in three.

January 16, 2010
11:55 P.M.

Some sort of Korean concoction hits our table. It is a combination of fish cake, ramen, and lots of red sauce. It needs salt. And people are smoking ….

I inquired, “Why are people smoking here?”

Jon points art Bryant “They obviously do not care about regulations.”

January 17, 2010
12:10 A.M.

Darren orders “Combo #2”. It comprises of two Hites, chicken wings, and Bulgogi.

January 16, 2010
11:40 P.M.

The waitress delivers the Peach Soju. It looks like a carafe of milk. Always the gentleman, Jason pours five shots. We each pick a glass up and make the obligatory “cheers”. With trepidation, I pour half of it into my gullet. As an automatic response I wince and shudder, but then a realization occurs - the peach Soju is quite tasty! Instinctively I finish the rest of the shot.


January 17, 2010
1:50 A.M.

Jon throws a Banana Republic bag into the back seat. “Hurl into this,” he instructs. I giggle like a little girl.

January 17, 2010
1:15 A.M.

The smell of chicken wings makes me want to throw up. Everyone grabs for one. You can hear the crackle of the skin, the slurping of the sauce, the smell of a mixture of fowl and saliva envelops the table.

I reach for the french fries that comes with the wings. They are fried pretty well. Unfortunately, I do not understand why they come to the table covered in ketchup.

January 17, 2010
12:15 A.M.

More Hite arrives. It dawns on me that the youngest one of us could probably out drink the rest of the room.

For those unfamiliar with Hite, it is one of the main beers in Korea. Kind of like Miller Lite, only much better. My cousins finish four super-sized bottles in an unsatiable thirst. I think to myself “Why are there barrels on the wall?”

January 17, 2010
12:55 A.M.

I spit it out. I wince at what would pass for beef in third world countries. Is that the face of Jesus on the meat? I ask Jon “What is this?”

Between bites Jason answers “Bulgogi.”

“Dear God, do they not have salt?”


January 17, 2010
2:35 A.M.

I am staring into a toilet. It is filled to the brim with green vomit. I have no idea why it is green. All I know is that I smell like peach.


Out of a score of 1-5 with 5 being the best.
Quality - N/A I was asleep when Jason and Darren paid
Service - 3.5 Surprisingly good for a Korean Bar
Atmosphere - 2. Think of swimming in a disaster.
Hotness of clientale - 2. There were a bunch of teenagers, and FOBs.

4 comments:

  1. Well from the pictures, it looks like you enjoyed yourself lol. Ewww @ green vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks eric i didn't need to bust out a dictionary <3. we gotta do that again sometime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the narrative structure of this post. Love Hite too! So next time you're here, we have to take you to Korean BBQ w/ Matt's friends... no peach soju please, blecccch. o_O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I ate all that food you guys didn't like. I didn't realize it till I finished it - that I was the only one eating it.

    ReplyDelete